Mauritius, Munich, Oktoberfest, Berchtesgaden and Paris: Air France Business Class Review
Trip Summary: Back in January of 2012 I decided to put my frequent flyer mileage knowledge, skills and learnings to the test and book the honeymoon of our dreams for my wife and me. While it took several months for the plans to fully materialize, the result was an amazing, while not always seamless trip. This is not only a recap of the trip we took and how we got there, but also the beginning of more formal travel blogging to showcase my adventures in the United States and abroad.
This trip will be summarized in the following topics:
- Background: Booking a Dream Honeymoon,Next Stop Mauritius and Oktoberfest, An Unexpected Travel Scare and a PSA About Passport Expiration
- Flight Reports: Air France Business Class DTW-CDG, Air France Lounge at Paris CDG Airport, A Layover in Paris
- Mauritius: Four Seasons Hotel Mauritius Review, Mauritius South Island Tour, Air France Lounge at Paris CDG Airport
- Munich: Hilton Munich City Hotel Review, Oktoberfest in Munich
- Berchtesgaden: Intercontinental Berchtesgaden Resort Hotel Review, Hitler’s Eagles Nest Kehlsteinhaus
This was perhaps the best flight of my life until this point for reasons outside of the actual level of service received on the flight. As explained in a previous post about a passport scare, this flight almost never happened. The space we were able to secure on AF377 to Paris was a blessing, and I have counted my blessings ever since.
The airplane itself was an Airbus A340-300 with 6 rows of business class seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. While I was slightly disappointed that I would not have the chance to ride across the pond in an Airbus A380 that was scheduled originally, I was simply counting my blessings that I had a flight at all at this point. My companion and I were situated on the right hand side of the plane, in row 5. This is definitely my preference for international flights – sitting next to companion with one window and one aisle seat for maximum flexibility.